Please note: the Resources page is accessible even if you are not logged in to ADAM.
So remember to login to ADAM otherwise you will get an error if you try to dowload or follow many of the links below.
Click on the links below to go to the information you want to read.
- ADAM User Manual
- The Global Collection
- Adding material to the Global Collection - basic checklist
- The Public Collection
- AI's Photo Guidelines
- AI's General Photographic Principles
- Guidelines on Photo Manipulation
- Permission from copyright holder form
- Freelancer contract - template
- Photographers brief - template
- "Share Your Story" and Consent Documentation
- Guide to writing ADAM image descriptions
- Specifications for ADAM images
- Importing embedded IPTC captions, credits etc into ADAM
- Photography training
- How can I find what I want when I SEARCH?
- I have followed an ADAM link, but I cannot see any images, why?
- I have followed an ADAM link but I do not get the results I was expecting, why?
- How do I UPLOAD a large VIDEO file?
- How exactly do I UPLOAD IMAGES?
- What is a COLLECTION?
- How do I give other ADAM users access to my Collection?
- How do I DELETE more than one Asset?
- How do I DOWNLOAD the best QUALITY images for printing?
- How do I EMAIL someone an image from ADAM?
- How long are email links live?
- How can I send photos with captions to someone without endless cutting and pasting?
- How do I embed a resized image?
- What is a LIGHTBOX?
- How do I make a lightbox?
- How do I share a lightbox?
- Why are the agreements on new ADAM more restrictive than old ADAM?
- How secure is ADAM?
- How do I change the caption under the 'FEATURED IMAGE' on ADAM Home page?
- Where is the new ATTRIBUTE I have just created?
- How do I create a new COLLECTION?
- How do I edit the RESOURCES page?
- How do I make an embedable SLIDESHOW?
- How do I change the captions in an ADAM slideshow to another language?
- How do I make a slide display for longer in an ADAM slideshow?
- How do I change the title of a slideshow?
I FOLLOWED AN ADAM LINK, BUT I DO NOT GET THE RESULTS I WAS EXPECTING, WHY?
First have you logged in to ADAM? You must log-in to view most of the images, videos and audio (Assets) that are held in ADAM.
If you are logged in it will say 'Log Out' at the top right of the ADAM page.
Not being logged is the most likely cause of the problem, for more detail see above.
But if you get results that you were not expecting then "Cached Criteria" will probably be the cause.
Look at this ADAM link:
In the middle of the link you can see that it says "cachedCriteria", this is something that the database does with searches: it sometimes caches the criteria for the search rather than always including them in the url.
It creates a "cachedCriteria" url when you return to the search results after viewing one of Assets found by the search.
There is no problem with this if only you are looking at the results.
But if you copy the "cachedCriteria" search url and send this to someone else, they will see the results from their most recent search, not the results of your search.
So if you want to send someone a link to a search copy the url before you view any of the results.
You should be able to see the criteria you searched for in the middle of the url.
For example here is an ADAM search for "dogs":
(you can see the word dogs in the middle)
If you send this to someone else they will be able to see the results of a search for dogs.
But if you have viewed some Assets already this is actually not a problem. If you have viewed Assets the easiest way to get a link that will work for other people - rather than navigating back in the browser - is to click on the 'Saved & Recent Searches' tab which is in the centre of the ADAM page above the search results.
Then click run next to the search you want to link to and then copy this url.
HOW DO I UPLOAD A LARGE VIDEO FILE?
If you want to upload a large video file to ADAM, for example a 500MB .mpeg, it might take a long time: this is because the data needs to be transferred from your computer to the ADAM server and then ADAM needs to create a preview file.
We recommend creating an empty Asset first:
- Click 'Add Assets' and then 'Add Asset' in the ADAM menu on the left.
- Then select 'Video Asset' from the Type list.
- Then click in the 'No file to upload' check box
- Click the next button.
- Enter all of the information about the Video into the fields.
- When you have finished click the 'Submit' button at the bottom of the page.
Now you just have to add your video:
- First make sure that the file you are going to upload is stored locally on the hard drive of the computer you are using. If you upload a file that is held on a network server it is likely that you will get an error.
- Then go to the Asset you have just created and click on the 'Edit' button.
- Scroll down to the 'File (if changed)' field.
- Use the 'uploader popup' - because it gives you some indication of progress: a task bar comes up showing how much of the file has uploaded.
- When the file has uploaded, you must click the 'Save' button at the bottom of the record.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: if it takes longer that 45 minutes to upload the file ADAM will log you out automatically.
So before you click the 'Save' button you must confirm that you are still logged in - here is how you do this:
- Open another tab in the same internet browser and go to the ADAM home page.
- Look at the top right hand side of the ADAM home page.
- If it says "Log Out" return the tab that you uploaded the video in and click 'Save'.
- If it says "Log In" you must login to ADAM again - click on 'Log In' - and only when you have logged in return the tab that you uploaded the video in and click 'Save'.
When you click 'Save' ADAM start to create a preview file, sometimes this will take a long time, the amount of time depends on the size of the video file you have uploaded.
While it is generating the preview file ADAM puts a placeholder image from the video into the ADAM record.
You must refresh the page in your browser to see the play icon; the page does not refresh automatically when the preview is generated.